Thursday, August 28, 2008

So yeah, I need to get out more

This post isn't exactly one for the ages, but I was out and about in central Seoul today for the first time in a while and noticed some things.

First, is it me, or has Starbucks negotiated some kind of deal where they open a location every 50 feet or so? I blinked and like five more stores have opened since the last time I was in the area. (In this case, I am referring specifically to two locations in Seoraemaeul and one around Bogwang-dong near Yongsan. There are already two in Itaewon.) It's getting so you can't throw a rock without hitting a chain coffee shop. Maybe that's while there's so much tension on public transportation. Folks are consuming entirely too much caffeine. Time to chill out with some traditional 보리차, babes.

Also, what's going on with all that construction on the lower level of the Banpo Bridge? A few years ago, another friend of mine said she heard the city was planning to make it pedestrian-only. Any chance this is true?

And what is the giant thing under construction near Itaewon where the giant pay parking lot was? I was passing through in a cab and all I could make out was the big Hyundai Construction logo and some artist's rendering of a building. What gives?

Sorry. Yes, I have been under a rock for the last six or seven months. Why do you ask?

9 comments:

Choco Pie said...

I have very conflicted feelings about Starbucks in Korea. On the one hand, they are sometimes an oasis in the desert--I'd love to have one in my boring neighborhood, which seems to specialize in hardware stores and auto repair shops, but the two *huge* new Starbucks in Seoraemaeul do not come in peace. Their colonizing intent is obvious.

Unknown said...

I heard somewhere one time that whenever you see a Starbucks in the basement level of an office building it's because they don't have to pay rent. Everyone wants to move their office to a building with a Starbucks in it, so it makes the building easier to get tenants.

I'm not vouching for the truth of that, it's just what I heard.

Roboseyo said...

about two years ago, it was outback steakhouse. Three years ago, it was Isaac toast, popping up everywhere, like a game of whack-a-mole. Every so often, some franchise chain spreads cross seoul ridiculously quickly. The comparison I like to make is, "Like acne on a teenager"

David Harris said...

A relative newcomer seems to have surpassed Starbucks, at least in the parts of Seoul I frequent : Baskin Robbins / Dunkin Donuts / Paris Baguette / Paris Croissant.

These brands are run by the same Korean company and seem to be in even more places than Starbucks.

I don't complain as much about these places since I seem to get a better value for my Won. With Starbucks, however, I feel like I'm paying more for the status-symbol green logo than the mixture of burnt coffee, burnt milk, sugar, and flavoring to make it all palatable.

Gomushin Girl said...

The biggest offender is still Dunkin' - they're the British of the convenience food colonizers! I once told a friend to meet me at a particular station, and "just meet me in the DD right on the corner!" ha. ha. ha. Took us nearly half an hour to actually rendezvous, by process of elimination of extraneous Dunkin' Donuts.
It'll be interesting to see if the Starbucks here has any problems similar to back in the homeland, where for the first time in living memory they're actually closing down stores from their over-expansion period.

matt said...

By the way, yes, the Jamsu bridge (the one under the Banpo bridge) is being turned into a pedestrian only bridge (including bicycle paths), with fountains (or "massive, artificial waterfalls", whichever you like) lining the side of the bridge. They're also building 'artificial islands' to accompany the bridge.

Alex said...

By all means, point me to the cheaper, Korean-owned coffee chain that has drip coffee rather than espresso. The foreign coffee contingent, Bean&Leaf and Star*ucks are the only games in town for convenient drip...

MigukYeoja said...

Steve Ward,

This totally makes sense to me. Otherwise, the stores are at the point that they are canibalizing each others' business.

Matt, thanks for the info about the Jamsu Bridge (sorry I had no idea that it was considered a different bridge)!

Alex,

You got me. If you find one, please share. I'd love to just be able to get a regular coffee somewhere, with no espresso, sugar, whipped cream, foam, etc.

David Harris said...

Re: "I'd love to just be able to get a regular coffee somewhere, with no espresso, sugar, whipped cream, foam, etc."

Cafe Verts about halfway between the number 2 (green) line Seoullung and Yeoksam stations along the main Gangnam-gu street Teheran-ro.

I had an excellent cup of Ethiopian coffee yesterday - lightly roasted, no additives, yet still smooth with plenty of flavor. The price of W3,500 was decent, considering the location.

Incidentally, it's literally across the street from my office.

I've also had decent cups of straight-up coffee at some snooty coffee shops, but had to pay W9,000 or more for the privelege.